Getting Intensive Outpatient Programs Using Health Insurance
Table of Contents
You need to find drug or alcohol addiction recovery. But you cannot commit to inpatient treatment. You wonder about an inpatient outpatient program. Still, you have a question. Is IOP covered by insurance?
You’re not alone. Here’s how someone once described the struggle to decide the best treatment option:
Drug or alcohol addiction can feel like navigating a freeway in dense fog. The way ahead is uncertain. A haze that seems almost impenetrable to see through shrouds every inch of the highway.
Desperation grows as you search for an off-ramp, a way out of the relentless mist. You finally spot an exit sign, a fleeting hope. But as you approach, you notice marked with a restriction — no re-entry allowed. It’s a path that feels too binding, too confining for your needs.
So, you press on, tires humming against the asphalt, hope dwindling, seeking another way out. At Changes Healing Center, our Intensive Outpatient Program emerges like that rare, perfect sliver of sunshine. It serves as a beacon piercing through the gray fog.
Read on to learn more about whether insurance covers an IOP, and how Changes Healing Center in Phoenix can be that off-ramp you seek!
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP) and Health Insurance
IOP programs are a middle ground in substance abuse treatment. They are less restrictive than inpatient care, which requires staying overnight in a residential facility. Still, this individual may not be ready for the much-less-restrictive nature of outpatient care.
Our IOP program at Changes Healing Center meets five days a week. This form of addiction treatment integrates individual counseling, group therapy sessions, relapse prevention, and sometimes alternative therapies.
While inpatient treatment immerses you in a controlled environment, IOP allows more flexibility. It caters to those with family or work responsibilities. You return to daily life post-session but still have a structured treatment program.
The only reason you would stay overnight is because you require detox. Our medically-assisted detoxification is the safest, most effective way to eliminate the substances in your system.
For these reasons, an outpatient treatment program or partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an attractive option for many who need help.
Health Insurance Coverage and Our IOP Treatment Center
Here is some good news. Most policies recognize the efficacy of intensive outpatient treatment programs. Often, insurance covers a significant chunk of IOP cost, if not all.
But, coverage varies depending on the insurance company and individual insurance plans.
Understanding Treatment Costs and Health Insurance for IOP Programs
What does your insurance cover? Below, we explain how to verify insurance coverage for your substance abuse treatment.
You can connect with our insurance verification specialists at any time for help, simply call our local number at any time! We are glad to verify coverage on your behalf.
Here are the steps involved that our insurance verification team will take care of for you:
- We Will Reach Out to Your Health Insurance Provider: We will make a phone call (always confidential) to your insurance provider. This will clarify the extent of your insurance coverage. Some cover inpatient treatment or residential treatment. Others will only cover PHP, IOP, or other outpatient services you attend several days a week.
- We Check to Ensure We Are Among the In-Network Treatment Centers: Insurance carriers often partner with specific treatment centers. Finding an in-network treatment center can lower out-of-pocket expenses, and we also minimize costs for our out-of-network clients as well.
- We Help You Understand Your Deductible: Even if your coverage includes IOP services, you might pay out of pocket until you meet that deductible threshold.
- We Obtain Prior Authorization: Some insurance carriers need authorization before they cover outpatient treatment. Ensure you have all necessary permissions in place.
- Medicaid: This insurance often covers substance abuse disorder treatment and mental health services.
As you can see, health insurance coverages vary, depending on your insurance provider.
But you don’t need to worry about those details – our compassionate team will take care of this for you.
What Must Insurance Cover for Rehab, According to Federal Law?
You might also wonder if a mental illness could exclude you from coverage. The answer to that is a definite no!
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), often called Obamacare, reshaped healthcare in the United States. Besides physical and mental health, it also required insurance providers to cover drug and alcohol treatment.
Under the ACA, your insurance provider must follow these rules:
- Essential Health Benefits: One of the ACA’s key provisions was establishing an “Essential Health Benefits.” Substance use disorder (SUD) services, including drug and alcohol treatment, are among these. As a result, more insurance plans now cover addiction treatment.
- Parity: The ACA extends the mental health treatment and SUD coverage parity requirements of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) of 2008. Thus, health insurance plans can’t impose lesser benefits for mental health and SUDs.
- Medicaid Expansion: The ACA allowed states to expand eligibility. More low-income adults can qualify for help in states that opted for expansion.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Before the ACA, insurance companies could deny coverage to individuals with pre-existing conditions. Those included past addiction issues or mental health issues. With the ACA prohibiting this practice, insurance companies can’t deny these treatment services.
- Prevention and Screening: The ACA emphasizes preventive services. As a result, many health plans now offer substance abuse screenings. Screeners ask vital questions to assess one’s risk factors. Early detection can lead to early intervention, improving the chances of success.
- Youth Coverage: The ACA allows young adults to remain on a parent’s health insurance until age 26 (with exceptions in some states that raise this age limitation). Because substance abuse issues often manifest in the late teens and early twenties, this provision ensures that more young adults can access treatment services.
- Access to Recovery: The ACA focuses on integrating behavioral health into primary care. Thus, there has been an increase in individuals accessing the help they need.
- Increased Funding: The ACA provides funds for health centers. Thus, it increases the availability of addiction treatment services in many communities. For instance, some clinics use the money to offer telehealth services.
What to Expect in Intensive Outpatient Programs
IOP treatment at Changes Healing Center addresses substance abuse disorders. Plus, we look for any coexisting mental health disorders, treating them simultaneously. With our inpatient program, addiction treatment isn’t a one-size-fits-all.
We review several factors, including a person’s condition and unique challenges. We also promote physical healing after addiction. We even frequently suggest exercise programs for total restoration to good health.
Our outpatient care team will custom-tailor a personalized treatment plan. Here are a few things you should know about our Intensive Outpatient Program, other than we are among the few Joint Commission accredited IOPs in Arizona that accept AHCCCS insurance.
Personalized Addiction Treatment Approach
We recognize that each individual is unique. Thus, we diligently address substance abuse and concurrent mental health disorders- dual diagnosis. We do not take a blanket approach to providing help. By evaluating many facets.
These may include the person’s condition, history, and individual challenges. We craft a treatment plan that’s as unique as the person receiving it.
Diving deep into personal challenges is a pivotal component of recovery. Our experienced therapists provide one-on-one counseling sessions. We seek to create a safe space where individuals can explore the underlying causes of their addiction or dual diagnosis.
These individual therapy sessions can help pinpoint triggers, traumas, or behavioral patterns. Thus, they lay a foundation for lasting recovery.
There’s immeasurable power in shared experiences. Individuals share their stories, challenges, and milestones in group therapy sessions. This group setting helps individuals realize they aren’t alone in their journey. It also creates a support system for all who attend.
Learning from others’ experiences, gaining diverse perspectives, and drawing strength from shared challenges are cornerstones of group therapy at Changes Healing Center.
Struggles with mental health and addiction don’t just affect the individual. Instead, they ripple through families. Our family therapy sessions can mend strained relationships, rebuild trust, and foster understanding and communication.
Through guided sessions, family members learn about addiction and mental health complexities. They learn how to support their loved ones better and heal.
Why Choose Changes Healing Center for IOP Treatment?
Everyone deserves a chance to lift the fog of drug addiction. Our multidisciplinary team specializes in SUD treatment. We also provide outpatient rehab care for underlying mental illnesses. We’re here for you whether you need inpatient care ( for those who need our residential treatment center), outpatient treatment, IOP, or outpatient care.
Our goal is more than just treating chemical dependency. We aim to empower you to integrate the learning from our treatment programs into your daily life, enhancing your quality of life.
Is IOP Covered by Insurance? At Changes, the Answer is Yes!
Dealing with substance abuse or mental illnesses can be overwhelming. But with a well-structured IOP treatment program, many people find the help they need. Many do not need the intensity of residential treatment but do well with outpatient treatment.
Our treatment center accepts AHCCCS insurance coverage and can help you decide if outpatient rehab is the best option – and what IOP level you need.
Are you ready?
Reach Out for Changes Healing Center for Accessible IOP Options!
At Changes Healing Center, we’re committed to guiding you out of the fog. Our Intensive Outpatient Program team will help you on this journey to sobriety, from verifying insurance coverage all the way through relapse prevention.
Remember, the foggy road to recovery may have twists and turns. But, with the proper support and addiction treatment, a brighter, healthier future awaits. Don’t hesitate. If you have questions about outpatient services, insurance, or anything else, reach out to us. You can phone us at 602.691.7244.
Your off-ramp to safety is right here at Changes Healing Center, so please make the confidential call and get support options today!